This post contains affiliate links, if you have any questions please visit my full Disclosure Page.
I shall begin this post by telling you this is NOT a healthy recipe, however it is a recipe that I feel that everyone needs to have in their recipe book.
I have fought a long and hard battle with one of my favorite snackable desserts… the CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE. I have tried many different recipes, altering the ratio of brown sugar to regular sugar, more and less flour, higher and lower oven temperatures, changing the length of the bake time, I’m telling you literally everything. You know that pin on Pinterest that tells you how to make the perfect chocolate chip cookie, yes I’ve tried all of that. Each and every time I make them, I am unhappy with how they turn out. And I put them into a container and they just sit on our counter (just kidding, I’ll never let a chocolate chip cookie go to waste). They usually taste good but they are either too flat, too crispy, or too brown. And as I mentioned they are always too crispy after they cool, so I have to put a piece of bread in to help them soften back up. If you have never heard of this trick and your cookies are too crispy, try sticking a piece of sandwich bread in the container. After a few hours the bread magically make the cookies soft again. However, I really just recommend you make the recipe below, because it requires no bread!
So, anyways, back to the best cookie recipe. A few months ago my friends Kristen and Despina came over for a visit. Kristen, brought us a tasty bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies, and there began my sons love for the chocolate chip cookie. “Miss Kristen brought cookies” was a phrase I heard many times, every day, for probably a solid two weeks. I could NOT agree more with my child’s absolute obsession for these cookies, and I needed to know the trick. So graciously Kristen shared with me the recipe below, and I have come to find the ONLY chocolate chip cookie recipe I will ever use from this point forward. Below I have listed the instructions for how I made the cookies, but follow the link for the original recipe.
The Best Chewy Café-Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
NO JOKE, I will never make another chocolate chip cookie other than this one ever again, it's just that GOOD!
- 2 C. + 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, melted and cooled
- 1 C. brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C. dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, corn starch and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cooled melted butter and the sugars with a hand mixer for about one minute. Then, add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Beat until just combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix briefly, just until there are no flour clumps left. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon by rounded teaspoon or with small cookie scoop (approximately 2 teaspoons) onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until the cookies have spread out and the edges are golden but the center of the cookie still looks soft and just slightly under-cooked. Let cool on the baking sheets until they are firm enough to remove. (Try baking one cookie first to decide what baking time works best for your oven.)
- Serve and ENJOY !
Ultimately I owe a big thank you to my friend Kristen for sharing this recipe and making my life in the chocolate chip cookie world a whole lot simpler. I am not sure why I never tried the cornstarch option before on the troubleshooting chocolate chip cookies pin I mentioned above, I guess I just thought putting cornstarch in cookies seemed odd. I was wrong, its the deal breaker!!!!
I hope you will try the recipe above and find your forever cookie like I did. I will tell you that I plan to post soon about the ONLY other chocolate chip cookie recipe I will ever make. It involves a 3.5″ cast iron skillet and an individual chocolate chip cookie to make a sundae with. It is the perfect treat when you don’t want to make a whole batch.
Leave a comment if there are any recipes you have been trying to nail down perfectly, and I’ll be happy to share with you if I have come across one that we love!